Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Κυριακή 13 Ιουνίου 2021

Have I experienced a Divine revelation? The apparition of a saint?


Have I experienced a Divine revelation? The apparition of a saint? That's not for me to say. We Orthodox Christians are taught not to pay attention to dreams. And wisely so. Still, from time to time, an Orthodox Christian may have a dream which seems to be of special significance. Such dreams should be taken to our Spiritual Father for his discernment and counsel.

Having said this, I thought I would tell you, once again, about a dream I had which does seem to be of special significance. I do not claim a miracle. I do not claim a revelation. I can only recount this dream in the hopes that it may be helpful to someone. It was helpful to me.

Years ago, in the throes of a terrible hangover, I dreamed I was at St John the Wonderworker Church in Eugene, Oregon. St John Maximovitch was standing at the ambo, fully vested, holding his staff, facing me -- and hollering!

St John was not violent, and he was not cruel. But he pulled no punches as he scolded me -- at great length -- about my drinking. Did I realize that my drinking was putting my body and soul in mortal danger? Did I realize -- or did I even care -- the harm that my drinking was doing to others? Did I even want to repent?

By the time I started to cry, there was a change. St John smiled an incredibly beautiful smile, stepped down from the ambo, and wrapped me in his arms. His voice was soft now. 'Just pray. Ask for help. If you ask for help you will get it.'

That, Dear Ones, was the end of the dream -- and the beginning of the end of my alcoholic drinking.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: