Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Σάββατο 23 Οκτωβρίου 2021

When we mention the spiritual father, we must always be wise.




 When we mention the spiritual father, we must always be wise. 

 

We must remember the words of the Lord, that “if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.” (Matthew 15:14)

 

So, someone being a spiritual father - is a very high benchmark, we cannot call everyone a spiritual father.

 

This is a common practice in Georgia and most likely in the rest of the world: 

 

When a person meets a priest... 


For example, a person comes to me unconsciously and because he comes to me, he thinks: “Father Theodore is my spiritual father” which is not true, because we may simply have nothing in common spiritually.

 

Certainly, it may possibly be my fault from beginning to end, but I cannot be your spiritual father, because we have nothing in common, even though we are both nominally in the Church.

 

Especially, if I am not going towards Christ and you still say “he is my spiritual father”, you may not even know whether I am going towards Christ or not...

 

Also, how do you know whether I’m going towards Christ or not, what are your arguments?

 

If I’m going towards Him and you don’t believe me, you have a problem.


And if I’m not going towards Him and you believe me, you have an even worse problem.

 

So, when it comes to the spiritual father, this is a priest who is going towards Christ and this has already been confirmed in your heart.

 

And if you pay no attention to his blessing, if you don’t listen to his opinion, this is a serious problem. 


It is quite serious and terrible, because the one you call your spiritual father is going towards Christ, and if this is indeed the case, then not believing him is a problem. 

 

However, figuring out whether he is going towards Christ or not is your responsibility and also my responsibility, because I also have a spiritual father. 

 

Therefore, we cannot escape this responsibility.

 

Archpriest Teodore Gignadze ©

Excerpt from a sermon - June 16, 2021

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: