Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Παρασκευή 20 Μαΐου 2022

Elder Ephraim’s story


 


Elder Ephraim’s story

 

Once there lived an ascetic monk (the elder did not say this story was about himself, but monks often speak about themselves in the third person). And once this ascetic, having many spiritual children, knocked for the Lord. The Lord opened to door for him, and the monk said:

 

“My Christ, I labor here with all my strength, I pray—can I ask of You one thing?”

 

“Ask,” answered the Lord.

 

“I have spiritual children, people with whom I’m connected. In the past, to enter the Heavenly Kingdom you had to score ten points. Ten out of ten. You had to labor quite hard. But times are so hard now that there’s no one around who can labor this way, to get ten out of ten… Can You make it so that those who get eight points would also be able to enter the Heavenly Kingdom?”

 

“Very well, for your sake, for the sake of your love for Me, so be it.”

 

The ascetic continued to pray and again knocked at the Lord:

 

“My Christ, can I ask you another favor?”

 

“Ask,” the Lord answered again.

 

“You know, My Christ, even eight points is very hard to get. But people try. They try to obey, to pray. And what if only a few of them can score eight points? Make it, please, that those who get six points would also be able to enter the Heavenly Kingdom. After all, it would be a shame if a man tried all his life… But they’re so weak now… There are so many temptations in this world now and spiritual life is so low… Those who score six points—take them to Yourself as well!”

 

“Very well,” the Lord answered. “For the sake of your podvigs and love for Me, so be it.”

 

After a while the ascetic knocked a third time:

 

“Lord, and if they only score a four? Please, My Christ, I will labor for them, will keep vigil and labor even to the point of blood! Please, allow them also to see the Heavenly Kingdom!

 

“So be it,” uttered the Lord.

 

The monk looked around at the people, looked at all his spiritual children, thought, and again meekly approached the door. But when he was about to knock again, the Lord Himself opened the door and said to the ascetic:

 

“You know, all the same, they themselves have to try and make some effort!

 

Olga Rozhneva

Translated by Jesse Dominick


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: