Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Τετάρτη 8 Μαρτίου 2023

“But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.” (Micah 7:7)



“But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.” (Micah 7:7)

We have all heard the expression, “Patience is a virtue,” and we know that it is listed as one of the “fruits” of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23), but what exactly is patience.

A basic definition might be, “waiting without complaint,” yet what is so virtuous about that? Each of us has waited in line at the DMV, grocery store checkout, or waited our turn at a game. The real implication of patience as a virtue means that one waits without complaint during times of discomfort, suffering, and distress which requires other virtues such as self-control, humility, and charity. Thus, patience is a virtue because it involves the use of other virtues.

Our Lord showed great patience with people, and no more so than with His own disciples who probably often frustrated and irritated Jesus by their lack of understanding, laziness, selfishness, and weak faith.

So why is patience so difficult to acquire and/or maintain? Because we are sinful and selfish. Philosophers call it “egocentric predicament,” meaning we tend to focus upon and are aware of our own thoughts and feelings foremost, rather than those of others.

Therefore, part of being patient is humbling ourselves to be more aware and concerned for those around us who are equally worthy to get what they wait for or arrive at their destinations on time. 

During this Lenten Season, strive to be patient and do not complain – either verbally or non-verbally with a sigh, huff, grumbling, shake of the head, or roll of the eyes. Practice self-control and be the master of your soul!

Fr. John

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: