Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Πέμπτη 10 Ιανουαρίου 2019

PRAYING THE PSALMS (Thursday, January 10)

PRAYING THE PSALMS
(Thursday, January 10)

“O Lord, why are they multiplied that afflict me? Many rise up against me. Many say unto my soul: There is no salvation for him in his God. But you, O Lord, are my helper, my glory and the lifter up of my head. I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy mountain. I laid me down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord will help me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people that set themselves against me round about…” (Ps 3: 1-6, Septuagint-translation)

How very sincere are the psalms, giving voice not only to the “highs” of our faith-journey, but also to the “lows.” Praying the Psalms teaches me to open up to God, and to speak to Him from the bottom of my heart, in a way that would perhaps even sound a bit “extreme” to any merely-human interlocutor. Psalm 3, for example (quoted above), teaches me that it is OK to bring before God the kind of feelings expressed there toward fellow-human beings, like being extremely afflicted and overwhelmed by them; and more importantly, that such a conversation with God does “lift up my head” out of that rut.

So let me let God into the picture of any “highs” or “lows” I may be experiencing today, in my relationships with other people. With God in the picture, I can “lay me down and sleep,” rather than lose sleep to thoughts or fears in my own head, “for the Lord will help me.” Glory be to Him.
: https://www.patreon.com/sistervassa)

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: