Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Παρασκευή, 19 Αυγούστου 2011

St.Herman of Alaska Monastery (Black&White)


Audio - Agni Parthene (O Pure Virgin), Valaam Monastery Choir, Russia.

The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood is a monastic-missionary Orthodox Christian brotherhood that is part of the Western American Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The Brotherhood was established in 1963 with the blessing of St. John (Maximovitch), Archbishop and miracle-worker of Shanghai and San Francisco, of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. It opened an Orthodox book and icon shop in San Francisco, next to the Holy Virgin "Joy of All Who Sorrow" Cathedral, and began to publish the bi-monthly journal The Orthodox Word, as well as books in both English and Russian. In 1969, the brotherhood moved to the wilderness of northern California, near the village of Platina, and there began to live a monastic life while continuing to publish Orthodox books and magazines. The founding members were tonsured monks in 1970, and their community became known as the St. Herman of Alaska Monastery. One of the brotherhood's founders, Hieromonk Seraphim Rose (1934-1982), has become renowned throughout the Orthodox world for his writings, which are noted for their faithfulness to Orthodox patristic tradition when addressing modern issues and problems. Today, the brotherhood strives to remain true to his legacy and spirit.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: