Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Παρασκευή 2 Ιουνίου 2023

Shocking "document".


Shocking "document".

Summer of the year 1974.

Turkish troops are invading our Cyprus, spreading terror and death. In Morfou, on the part of Cypriot Christians, something happened that shocked even the Turks!

Turkish soldiers captured fifteen Greek Cypriots, including a teacher. They were brought to the teacher's house, which had a vine-covered yard (which had just been sprayed with poison medicine) and shaded the yard.

They were set up against the wall, outside in the courtyard, under the vine, waiting anxiously for the Turkish officer to come and order "fire".

Indescribable moments! Wail! Weep! Wail!

The Turkish officer entered the courtyard, ready to order "fire". He lifted his head and looked upwards, towards the vine (which we recall had just been sprinkled with poison medicine) and he envied the grapes. He stretched out his hand, cut a grape, thus prolonging the agony of those on death row.

As he was about to eat the grape, (full of poison!) the teacher, the owner of the house, jumped up and let out a voice-cry, (to his executioner!)

- My brother! Don't eat it! The day before yesterday I sprayed it with medicines, which were poison! You will die!! Don't, don't eat it!

The Turkish officer was stunned! He threw away the grape, and all wonder asked him:

"Well, don't you see that in a moment I will give the order to kill you?" And you, instead of taking revenge on me, are you going to save my life? What came to you and you beg me not to eat it?

And the good-hearted teacher explained to him with a peace admirable for the moments:

- Christ, who we believe, tells us to love our enemies and to benefit them. If I did not do this, I would be defying His command. And I do not want, now that I am leaving this world and will appear before Him, to carry such a heavy sin in my soul.

The officer is shocked again! He turns to the soldiers, who were waiting for the "fire" and says to them in shock:

- If I found such a Turk, I would even give my life! Gather your weapons and set them free! Everyone!

And they were all saved from certain death!

The helpless Lord, seeing the helplessness of this Cypriot teacher, performed his miracle!

Arch. Vassiliou Bakoyannis

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: