Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Τετάρτη 8 Δεκεμβρίου 2021

Freedom from Suffering (Elder Aimilianos of Simonopetra)

 


The moment we accept death, true life can begin.  (Elder Aimilianos of Simonopetra)

 

*

 

The secret to his freedom does not lie in the rejection of his suffering, but in his joyful acceptance of them. He will be truly free only when he lets go of wanting to be free of his sufferings, for all freedom and all life depend on our being in right relation to God. When he accepts his death; when he allows himself to hear the sound of his footsteps descending into the grave, he will find that death no longer has a hold on him, for now he is with God. The darkness will vanish and he will see only light.

 

*

 

If he accepts to become an instrument of God’s will, he will emerge triumphant; but otherwise he will fail.

 

*

 

If “l” exist God cannot exist, for there cannot be two gods, and so it is either God or the self. When someone sees only his own suffering, God cannot answer him, for it is precisely the mistaken, negative attitude toward suffering that constitutes the separation between him and God. But if “I” cease to exist, if my relation to my suffering changes, then I can be united to God. This union depends on the denial of my self, so that God can come into my life.

 

*

 

I must learn to accept suffering with joy, to find joy within my suffering, to realize that even in my moments of glory, I am nothing but “dust and ashes” (Gen 18:27), a pelican in the wilderness (Ps 102:6), lost in a desert land, seeking shelter in a landscape of ruins. I must realize my sinfulness, my nakedness, my alienation from God; I must realize I am like a sparrow alone on a house top (Ps 102:7), not because I have some psychological problem, but because I have been separated from God. … In this cry, this calling out, there exists the hope that I will hear the sound of His footsteps, and these will overtake my own and lead me to salvation.

 

*

 

Source: Psalms and the Life of Faith, by Elder Aimilianos of Simonopetra, pp 104-10

 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: